Off-road vehicles

The department is responsible for administering the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Areas) Act 1978 (the Act).

Low Angle View Of Man Riding Dirt Bike During Sunset

Off-road vehicle map

This map is designed to show permitted and prohibited off-road vehicle areas in Western Australia and their licencing and usage requirements. These areas are governed by the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Vehicles) Act 1978.

Off-road vehicle guides

Off-road Vehicles in Western Australia: Riding trail bikes and quad bikes

Nov 29, 2019, 09:47 AM
Title : Off-road Vehicles in Western Australia: Riding trail bikes and quad bikes
Introduction : A guide for retailers
Select a publication type : Guide

Where to ride?

Road-registered trail bikes can be ridden by anyone with a WA motorcycle licence on any open public road, including roads in State forest, national parks and drinking water catchment areas.

Off-road vehicle (ORV) registered trail bikes and quad bikes, being ridden by anyone without a WA motorcycle licence, can only be legally ridden in permitted ORV areas. 

Trail bikes and quad bikes can be ridden on private properties with the owner’s permission. Bikes do not need to be registered and riders do not need to hold a license to ride on private property.  

There is no specific licence for trail or quad bike riders. However, riders must be over eight years of age if they are in a permitted ORV area.

The information below shows whether a driver’s (motorcycle) licence and what type of vehicle registration is required to access different types of areas.

  • Private property or club track
    • Driver’s licence not required
    • No registration
  • ORV area
    • Driver’s licence not required
    • Off Road Vehicle registration
  • Events
    • Driver’s licence required
    • Class B Conditional vehicle registration
  • Public roads
    • Driver’s licence required
    • Class A full road registration

To find more information about where to ride, go to the ORV Area State-wide Mapping (WA) available on the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website.

Permitted off-road vehicle areas in WA

Perth Metro

  • Pinjar Off-road Vehicle Area (managed by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA))*
  • Gnangara Off-road Vehicle Area (managed by DBCA)*
  • Medina Off-road Vehicle Area*


  • York Off-road Vehicle Area*

Lancelin, Ledge Point And Cervantes

  • Lancelin Off-road Vehicle Area*
  • Ledge Point Off-road Vehicle Area*
  • Ledge Point Reserve 27215 Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Cervantes Item 2 Off-road Vehicle Area


  • Explosives — Point Moore
  • Pages Beach
  • Separation Point
  • Francis St Carpark
  • Drummond Cove — Glenfield
  • Cape Burney Off-road Vehicle Area


  • Carnarvon Item 1 Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Carnarvon Item 2 Off-road Vehicle Area


  • Karratha West Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Karratha East Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Karratha Item 2 Off-road Vehicle Area

Port Hedland

  • Deepwater Reserve Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Spoilbank Off-road Vehicle Area

*Gazetted as permitted ORV areas in accordance with the ORV Act

Apart from ORV areas managed by the State Government and local government, there are several commercial ride parks operating on private land that can cater for unregistered bikes and unlicensed riders. They include:

Bike registration

Registration of the trail or quad bike will enable users to ride legally at specially set up off-road vehicle (ORV) areas. Registering the bike will also help it being recovered if lost or stolen.

Registration fees are held in a special purpose account that is used to create and maintain ORV areas across WA.

You can find more information about registering your bike on the Department of Transport website.

Want to know more?

For more information about trail bike and quad bike riding, contact WA clubs and associations:

Tags :
  • off-road vehicles
Categories :
  • Local government
Related local governments

Off-road vehicles legislation

The Act:

  • prohibits the use of off-road vehicles in certain places
  • makes provisions for the use of off-road vehicles other than on a road
  • provides for areas where the use of off-road vehicles is permitted
  • provides requirements for the registration of off-road vehicles.

The Act and associated regulations apply throughout Western Australia. These are available from the State Law Publisher.

Permitted areas

Permitted areas are established under the provisions of the Act and are the areas where registered off-road vehicles, as well as licensed on‑road vehicles, are allowed to be operated. Private land can only be declared as a permitted area with the written authorisation of the owner. Restrictions may be placed on the type of off-road vehicle that can use a specific permitted area. For example, area may be restricted to motorcycles of a certain size and noise output.

The current publicly available permitted areas and the respective land manager include:

Prohibited areas

All vehicles, including licensed on-road vehicles, may be forbidden from prohibited areas, whether or not the land is private, if the Minister for Local Government is of the opinion that public interest requires it to be done. This can only be exercised over private land without the consent of the owner and occupier for the following reasons:

  • need to protect livestock or preserve wildlife
  • environmentally sensitive nature of the land
  • proximity of the land to residential development
  • provisions of any town planning scheme.

A person who is the owner or occupier of land declared a prohibited area or worker for such a person has the right to use a vehicle on that land. Prohibited areas may be declared so that they apply to limited classes of vehicles. The full list of prohibited areas is available from the department.

Advisory committee

An advisory committee is appointed under the Act and is responsible for providing advice and recommendations to the Minister for Local Government in relation to the use of land by off-road vehicles, including the declaration of prohibited and permitted areas.

Local laws

Local governments can enact local laws and are responsible for enforcing the Act. Local laws enacted by a local government apply only to the area administered by that local government and are not statewide laws. Information about local laws relating to permitted/prohibited areas for off-road vehicles can be obtained from the relevant local government.

Page reviewed 02 December 2019