Off-road vehicles

The department is responsible for administering the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Areas) Act 1978 (the Act).

Low Angle View Of Man Riding Dirt Bike During Sunset

Off-road vehicle map

This map is designed to show permitted and prohibited off-road vehicle areas in Western Australia and their licencing and usage requirements. These areas are governed by the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Vehicles) Act 1978.

Off-road vehicle guides

Off-road Vehicles in Western Australia: Information for trail bike and quad bike riders

Nov 29, 2019, 09:47 AM
Title : Off-road Vehicles in Western Australia: Information for trail bike and quad bike riders
Introduction : A guide for riders
Select a publication type : Guide

Enjoying riding trail bikes and quad bikes in Western Australia

Recreational trail and quad bike riding are enjoyable activities with physical activity and social benefits for riders. Most riders value the same experiences that attract bushwalkers, mountain bike riders and horse riders: enjoying the outdoors, physical challenge and quality time with friends and family.

Recreational trail bike and quad bike riders need to know how to access safe, well-designed and managed trails and off-road vehicle (ORV) areas.

Friends and families can join in activities at specially set up sites which can cater for motocross, freestyle, enduro, trial bike, quad bike and pee-wee riders. For more information about trail bike and quad bike riding, you can contact these WA clubs and associations:

In this document, the term trail bike is used to refer to all trail, adventure, motocross, quad and mini-bikes that can used off-road on a dirt or gravel road, track or trail.

Where can I ride?

ORV-registered trail bikes and quad bikes or any trail bike being ridden by anyone without a WA motorcycle licence can only be legally ridden in permitted ORV areas. 

Any trail or quad bike can be ridden on a private property with the owner’s permission. Trail bikes do not need to be registered and riders do not need to hold a license to ride on private property.  

Road-registered trail bikes can be ridden by anyone with a WA motorcycle licence on any open public road including roads in State forests, national parks and drinking water catchment areas.

There is no specific licence for trail or quad bike riders however riders must be over eight years of age.

To find more information about where to ride, go to the ORV Area State-wide Mapping (WA) available on the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website.

The pull-up table at the bottom of the map provides links to more information about each ORV area.

Permitted off-road vehicle areas in WA

Perth Metro

  • Pinjar Off-road Vehicle Area (managed by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA))*
  • Gnangara Off-road Vehicle Area (managed by DBCA)*
  • Medina Off-road Vehicle Area*


  • York Off-road Vehicle Area*

Lancelin, Ledge Point And Cervantes

  • Lancelin Off-road Vehicle Area*
  • Ledge Point Off-road Vehicle Area*
  • Ledge Point Reserve 27215 Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Cervantes Item 2 Off-road Vehicle Area


  • Explosives — Point Moore
  • Pages Beach
  • Separation Point
  • Francis St Carpark
  • Drummond Cove — Glenfield
  • Cape Burney Off-road Vehicle Area


  • Carnarvon Item 1 Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Carnarvon Item 2 Off-road Vehicle Area


  • Karratha West Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Karratha East Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Karratha Item 2 Off-road Vehicle Area

Port Hedland

  • Deepwater Reserve Off-road Vehicle Area
  • Spoilbank Off-road Vehicle Area

*Gazetted as permitted ORV areas in accordance with the ORV Act

Apart from ORV areas managed by the State Government and local governments, there are several commercial ride parks operating on private land that can cater for unregistered bikes and unlicensed riders. These include:

To summarise, the table below shows whether a driver’s (motorcycle) licence is needed and what type of vehicle registration is required to access different types of areas.

  • Private property or club track
    • Driver’s licence not required
    • No registration
  • ORV area
    • Driver’s licence not required
    • Off Road Vehicle registration
  • Events
    • Driver’s licence required
    • Class B Conditional vehicle registration
  • Public roads
    • Driver’s licence required
    • Class A full road registration

Are there places I can’t ride?

It’s against the law to ride a trail bike or quad off-road in any area described as prohibited in the Control of Vehicles (Off-road Areas) Act 1978 and in any area designated as prohibited by local government. 

Prohibited areas include riding off-road in national parks, nature reserves and drinking water catchments. Prohibited areas are highlighted on the online map available on the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website.

In addition, unlicensed off-road vehicles are prohibited from crossing or travelling along public roads. A conditional licence to allow the crossing of roads or to compete in authorised events, can be issued by the Department of Transport.

Trail bike registration

Before an unlicensed off-road vehicle (i.e. any trail bike not licensed for use on public roads under the Road Traffic Act) can be used in a permitted ORV area, it must have ORV registration issued by the Department of Transport.

Registration of your trail or quad bike will enable you to ride legally in permitted ORV areas managed by the State Government and local governments. Your registration fees will go in a special purpose account that is used to create and maintain ORV areas across WA.

Your WA trail bike registration will also help you recover your bike if it is stolen.

There is no compulsory third part insurance provided with ORV registration. More information about registering your bike.

Breaking the rules

Penalties for riding the wrong bike in the wrong place or without the correct vehicle registration or motorcycle license is costly. There are fines of up to $2000 for the unauthorised use of a vehicle on public land.

Local government rangers and police can confiscate trail or quad bikes when they believe the vehicle is involved in an offence (such being illegally ridden on a public road) or if the rider is unable to prove ownership.


Riders are responsible for their own safety and as off-road riding can be a high-adrenaline activity, riders always need to be alert.

Riders should wear appropriate protective clothing including long pants, long-sleeve shirts, boots and an approved helmet.

Tags :
  • off-road vehicles
Categories :
  • Local government
Related local governments

Off-road vehicles legislation

The Act:

  • prohibits the use of off-road vehicles in certain places
  • makes provisions for the use of off-road vehicles other than on a road
  • provides for areas where the use of off-road vehicles is permitted
  • provides requirements for the registration of off-road vehicles.

The Act and associated regulations apply throughout Western Australia. These are available from the State Law Publisher.

Permitted areas

Permitted areas are established under the provisions of the Act and are the areas where registered off-road vehicles, as well as licensed on‑road vehicles, are allowed to be operated. Private land can only be declared as a permitted area with the written authorisation of the owner. Restrictions may be placed on the type of off-road vehicle that can use a specific permitted area. For example, area may be restricted to motorcycles of a certain size and noise output.

The current publicly available permitted areas and the respective land manager include:

Prohibited areas

All vehicles, including licensed on-road vehicles, may be forbidden from prohibited areas, whether or not the land is private, if the Minister for Local Government is of the opinion that public interest requires it to be done. This can only be exercised over private land without the consent of the owner and occupier for the following reasons:

  • need to protect livestock or preserve wildlife
  • environmentally sensitive nature of the land
  • proximity of the land to residential development
  • provisions of any town planning scheme.

A person who is the owner or occupier of land declared a prohibited area or worker for such a person has the right to use a vehicle on that land. Prohibited areas may be declared so that they apply to limited classes of vehicles. The full list of prohibited areas is available from the department.

Advisory committee

An advisory committee is appointed under the Act and is responsible for providing advice and recommendations to the Minister for Local Government in relation to the use of land by off-road vehicles, including the declaration of prohibited and permitted areas.

Local laws

Local governments can enact local laws and are responsible for enforcing the Act. Local laws enacted by a local government apply only to the area administered by that local government and are not statewide laws. Information about local laws relating to permitted/prohibited areas for off-road vehicles can be obtained from the relevant local government.

Page reviewed 02 December 2019